Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Youth and Technology


I am far from, what one might call “computer savvy.” I hardly know how to change my settings on Facebook (although I have never had trouble shopping on-line for hours!) So, when I enrolled in this class I was more than slightly tentative about the prerequisite of terms, lingo and usage. I am relieved to see that this course is so discussion/opinion oriented and that there is such a variety of on-line experiences within the class. The reading, Sherry Turkle's Alone Together (2010), is so interesting and at times hard to put down. I enjoy the discussions that take place in class which is why I decided to write my first blog post in a way that might generate opinions and/or discussion. Unfortunately, my topic is not really relevant to Turkle's analysis of robots, but is congruent to other topics discussed in class.



When we think of on-line communication, what age generally comes to mind? Some of us have discussed in class the age we were when we first “got on-line” some of the ages thrown around were anywhere from ten to fifteen years old. I was in middle school when I first used the internet at school and well in my teens before we had internet access in my home. So you can all imagine my surprise when my six year old son, Jesse, asked for his own facebook account this past winter. I looked at him and let out a latent chuckle. When he didn't so much as blink, I realized that he wasn't joking. He told me that everyone in his first grade class had one and that they were all talking about it at school.



I instantly thought to myself, who would he add? How well would I be able to monitor him? I asked what on earth does he have to say to people? He answered “I don't know, what do you have to say to your friends on there?” Jesse 1, Mom 0.



Am I being “old fashioned” or overly dogmatic when I say that I think kids of his age are entirely too young to have facebook, or any other internet access? I do let Jesse spend time on my lap-top playing age appropriate games such as Chuzzle, Peggle and Pupuzzle, but I feel that this type of access is a lot more safe. When I was fourteen I had ICQ, but at six I played with Barbies and watched Barney.



There are several reasons why Jesse's access to facebook and other facets of the world wide web, scare me. First, I feel that creating a profile complete with pictures and personal info might make him more vulnerable to the distantly outside world. Do children have that internal filter that helps us know what is proper and improper conduct on the web? At the same time, do adults? I do have pictures of Jess on my facebook page, of course, but I feel that in his little hands information might not be as well protected. I feel that there may be some really sketchy people out there that may try to add him, or chat with him. But, as my partner reminds me, there are sketchy people everywhere, we all encounter them everyday in the real world. True.



Another aspect of his request that makes me leery is the offers or pop ups that he will encounter. For example if Jesse is to type in facelook.com or facenook.com by accident he will be offered a $1000 reward, tell me what six year old wouldn't fall for that one! This is one of the safer clicking accidents that can happen on-line!



Finally, I question whether this on-line social media in any way depreciates his youth. To me he is so innocent and gullible, would the conversations, messages, chats he commences in prove harmful to his virtue? I reiterate that at his age I was concerned with the latest Pollypocket accessory and what will happen on the next episode of Wishbone. Jesse's Sesame Street years went much too quickly and he has already entered the age of video games such as Mario and Megaman. Perhaps I am overly protecting him and I need to parentally flow with the times of technology. With the introduction of gaming systems such as the Wii and Nintendo DS (and, yes, he has both) children become much more technically savvy at a much younger age. I go back and forth between thinking that this bares a negative reflection on children and thinking that it is a good thing to initiate them into the ever evolving technical world that they will undoubtedly be a part of for the rest of their lives.



It is not only my son that concerns me, I wonder about the general age of when kids get their own cell phones, social networking tools that allow them to chat with people they have never met face-to-face. When, also, are they responsible enough to participate in massively multiplayer online games such as Second Life and World of Warcraft. Make believe and role playing has taken on an all new form!



The only conclusion I can draw on this seesaw of opinions I have is that each case is different depending on the child. My partner (who is a computer science major and far more versed in technology than I) thinks Jesse is ready with a reasonable amount of parental control and all privacy settings on. I think he needs a couple more years. Is internet knowledge gained by on-line exposure or real life experience? At six I would have lost interest in it, but it seems that younger and younger kids are longing for an instant response which can be satisfied on-line. Turkle highlights in chapter fourteen, of Alone Together that this instant need for, what she refers to as “attention,” can also be fulfilled through IM and text messaging. She uses examples from interviews she conducted with various high school students on the importance of instantly replying, regardless of surroundings. In this chapter, The Nostalgia of the Youth, she validates some of the worries I have from a parent's prospective. In many ways she provides me with some relief that my hesitation to allow Jesse to get “on-line” needs deep care and consideration. On the other hand, she also makes me wonder if I am looking at this with as much of a closed-mind as she often has.



I was recently in a production of The Music Man and was intrigued to see that some of the young children in the cast sent me friend requests. I noticed on two of the four that added me, there was obvious evidence that their parents had direct access, either by their info tab or on their wall.



I want to clarify in my final thought that I do not by any means want Jesse to live a “simple” life, free of technical skills or knowledge, but I would like him to experience “simple” first.

Here is a websites that I found informational, or at least comforting, when I researched the issue...

http://shine.yahoo.com/event/coolmom/how-young-is-too-young-for-facebook-554301



The fourth comment down on this article (posted by: hol) does reinforce me on some level. I know that IF Jes were to get a facebook account I would definitely have his password and keep an eye on the action.


8 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    You bring forward a perspective that I don't think we've heard/discussed in class as much. Namely, the position a parent is put in with regards to "allowing" their children use of/internet privileges. Our discussion of the age-gap the other day was something I remain interested in, as my younger cousins (in middle school now) know more and have had more experience with online stuff that I had at their age (and even now...) I think that between your critical perspective and your partner's knowledge of such systems, Jesse will be operating as an informed child on the internet, whenever it is that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I really appreciate this new perspective that illustrates the complexities of parent-child relationships in the age of online communication. Here is a link to an article in Time this week, "Very Early Adopters. Should 9-year-olds really be on Facebook?"

    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,2078117,00.html

    Although you can't access the entire article online (you have to pay first...), here is a quote from the article (I have the article in paper copy):

    "Tom Bradley, a Houston father of seven, five of whom are on Facebook, believes that Zurckerberg's brainchild is safer than lots of other cyberspace hangouts. 'Facebook is certainly no worse than the rest of the Internet. It's actually better," says Bradley..."

    -Josh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    You discuss a very real situation that is happening quite frequently in today's internet rage.

    My boyfriend has a 7 year old little girl, I was reading Turkle the other night and asked him when he would allow his daughter to have facebook. He said "whenever she wants" I asked to explain why. He said that it would be better for her to get it now, to get familiar with it, he said she would probably only have a handful of friends and that she would most likely just use it to play games. He also said that if he didn't allow her to have it she may rebel and by the time she was allowed to have it she would feel way behind and somewhat excluded, and she may be prone to use it the wrong way. He claimed he would monitor it and make sure the privacy setting were up to par, but made it very clear that in no way would he deny her the chance to get virtually connected, especially since it's our now and our future.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do realize that this is a topic we haven't approached in full during class, but I also understand that it isn't directly relevant to the majority of the class. Our youth is always of importance, but when you are a parent and are faced with these type of decisions, the case changes. My partner, Josh, and I have been weighing the pros and cons of this matter ever since Jes asked us.

    Amanda, you bring up some other really interesting points I hadn't thought of. Most specifically- "she may rebel and by the time she is allowed to have it she would feel way behind and somewhat excluded"...I hadn't even thought of how not having a facebook page could leave him excluded from certain conversations at school etc.

    In many other aspects of his life we like to let him choose his own fate, so why, then am I so hesitant in this area?
    We have discussed different ways to "control" his internet use. Right now we control it by simply not teaching him how to use it. I see how this will very soon turn into an issue since he does live in a world that is constantly evolving technologically.
    We have one laptop and one desk top in our home, both of them require lock codes which he currently knows. We have discussed changing those and only letting him on when we are in the room to monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let me be the first to comment that, while I had no idea that that adorable youngster (Woodhouse 2011) pictured above was yours, you are certainly a hot mom. This knowledge does, however, help solve the mystery of how on earth you're able to get up early enough to bring in Panera coffee to an 8:40am class, as I have a difficult enough time getting to the conveniently-placed gas station for mine on the way. Kudos, indeed.
    Like Brian mentioned, you do bring up the important point that most of us without small children in our everyday lives often don't really have to consider: how do we negotiate the relationship between technology and the tiny ones in our immediate care?
    My gentleman-friend brought this up recently in regards to his older brother's son Jack, age 5. Jack doesn't have a Facebook account, but his dad puts up delightful pictures of him and his younger sister out-and-about, archiving their young lives for many to see. My gent wondered, what's it going to be like for Jack to grow up online, when he's the one without the access to it (yet)? At this point in time, all I can even think to say is: normal.
    -- Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, with the rapid change of society and internet and everything, for kid, I think the normal growth will be the best. On reason is the natural nature of human. Human has to be above certain age to be "mature." Before that, it will be our responsibility to protect them to reach that stage at least normally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, allow me to echo Heathers statement. I can barely scramble my behind to class daily, and you can have an ADORABLE youngster, look amazing AND manage to grab panera coffee. My kudos to you without a doubt.

    And down to business.... I have a younger sister whom to which we had a huge ordeal about her getting a facebook when she was in Middle school. First, I didn't want her to have one because I didn't want her to go through my photo albums to preview all my college shenanigans. But mostly because with great power comes great responsibility. Power because the internet allows lots of access, and responsibility because, well she way 13 at the time. She is 17 and LIVES on facebook now and I am constantly having to remind her about how much access she is allowing on the net. (I.e. "seriously, how many photos of you in a bikini in the mirror can you take?" "its a family photo, you don't have to do a duck face, I promise" and my personal favorite now... "if you curse out a family member in your status, don't act surprised when the WHOLE FAMILY finds out...after all, you put it on the internet.")

    I am rambling...but in short. Access is a tricky thing, and we want it faster, better and younger. I share your dilemmas, how does one monitor that? Best of luck there..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha thank you girls for your kind words about my seemingly put-together morning routine but to be perfectly honest, until last Tuesday I actually worked at Panera. I would go in at 5am and get off at 8am just in time to get to class, then go back. So, that is why I always had a delicious Panera beverage with me. :)

    ReplyDelete